Pain Management Specialist San Pedro, CA
- Posted on: May 23 2017
Pain is a self-preservation tool that the body uses to alert you that some damage to your body is occurring or likely to occur. The inability to experience pain, like with a person who has lost sensation because of diabetes, can be very damaging because the victim receives no warning of impending damage. If you suffer from chronic pain or no pain sensation at all which is rarer, you should visit a pain management specialist to help you to handle your condition.
Pain management specialists divide pain into two categories – acute and chronic.
- Acute pain occurs generally for a limited time and is caused because of tissue damage. As the body begins to repair itself the pain progressively dissipates.
- Chronic pain refers to pain that lasts for six months and more. Pain management of this condition becomes compelling and merits investigation and expert intervention. Chronic pain could be caused for a variety of reasons which often baffle patients, their physicians and pain management specialists as well. The results of chronic pain can be quite devastating and often have serious psychological implications.
Consider these statistics:
- Chronic pain affects about 80 million people in the US.
- The biggest type of chronic pain is lower back pain, which affects about 31 million Americans below the age of 45.
- Chronic pain costs the country about $70bn per year.
These statistics present a very strong case for pain management specialists. Pain management relies on a number of techniques for providing relief, depending on the nature and severity of the pain. Some common pain management techniques are:
- Medication management
- Interventional procedures
- Acupuncture and alternative therapies
- Chiropractic or physiotherapy
- Psychological counseling and support
If you suffer from acute or chronic pain and are looking for a pain management specialist in San Pedro, call us at 321-548-0201 to schedule an appointment with our specialists.
Posted in: Uncategorized